My grandma would cover the table in her kitchen with newspaper and each of us would select one of Grandpa's old shirts to wear. I can remember that they were so big that they almost swallowed us whole, but that just made it even more silly-and more memorable.
Accross the table there would be a spread of green and white correll tea cups full of egg dye. We each had at least a dozen eggs and we would go to town. Crayons, shrink wraps, eggs and more would cover the table. The mess was impressive. Even more impressive was the relative calm that was maintained by my Grandmother. I can't even imagine right now what it would be like to have eleven kids ranging in age from toddler to teenager using dye, of all things, at my kitchen table! Still she did it with grace - or maybe I was just so into the eggs that I missed any moment of panic!
I'll always remember those special times. So, as my kids grow, it is so important to me to make sure that Jeff and I are creating traditions that will last them a lifetime.
My mom is now the Grandma and, in fine Elzinga tradition, she opened up her kitchen to not only her Grandkids, but her great-neice as well. My cousin Robin and her daughter Macy were able to join us as a new tradition began. Here is just a little taste of my kids' first adventure with egg dye:
Here's Macy with her hands covered in dye. Doesn't she look just like Robin?
1 comment:
these are sweet! lasting memories, indeed!
Post a Comment